Outdoor fun and physical activity at local splash pads
It’s hot! But you don’t need a pool to cool off. Central Indiana boasts dozens of splash pads, which offer cooling-off fun for kids (and adults) and encourage running, playing, and jumping – all excellent ways for families to be physically active. We’ve compiled a guide to splash pads around central Indiana below, all FREE! Look for one near you and make it a fun family outing this weekend!
Carmel Parks’ Westermeier Commons Playground is located inside Central Park at 111th Street and College Avenue. In addition to a huge, futuristic-looking playground for kids 2 – 12, Westermeier Commons has recently opened a large splash pad. Lots of fun here for everyone.
The Indianapolis City-County Building recently completed its Lugar Plaza, the park surrounding the building. Part of the Plaza has a dedicated splash pad, open long hours from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. in the summer time. Enjoy the surrounding park and take in downtown.
Mulberry Fields in Zionsville is a very popular water spot for kids in the summer. Part giant splash pad, this park also has a trickling creek for hands-on fun with climbing, splashing, and exploring.
Many Indy Parks have splash pads. They call them Spray Grounds – get it? -and we’ve listed them below:
- Andrew Ramsey Park, 310 W. 42nd St., 327-7180
- Bel-Aire Park, 2901 Morrisville Rd., 327-7375
- Bertha Ross Park, 3700 N. Clinton Ave., 327-7190
- Bowman Park, 360 Auburn Rd. 327-7806
- Carson Park, 5400 S. High School Rd. 327-7390
- Christian Park, 4125 English Ave., 327-7163
- Clayton LaSalle Park, 401 S. LaSalle St. 327-7163
- Dan Wakefield Park, 6051 N. Broadway St, 327-7099
- Grassy Creek Park, 10510 E. 30th Street, 327-7162
- Haughville Park, 520 N. Belleview Place, 327-7806
- Holliday Park, 63636 Spring Mill Dr., 327-7180
- Jake Greene Park, 1700 Franklin Rd. 327-7180
- Municipal Gardens, 1831 N. Lafayette Rd., 327-7190
- Riverwood Park, 7201 Crittenden Ave., 327-4553
- Stout Field Park, 3820 W. Bradbury Rd., 327-7806
- Tarkington Park, 45 W. 40th Street, 327-7192
- Wes Montgomery Park, 3400 N. Hawthorne Ln., 327-7192
- Wildwood Park, 8100 Southeastern Ave., 862-6876
If we haven’t listed one near you, take a look at these guides that Indy With Kids and Indy’s Child compiled. Have fun!
Subscribe for more
Want more ideas for healthy schools, workplaces, child care providers, and families? Subscribe to our blog for weekly tips delivered right to your inbox!
Family Fun Runs NEXT »
What is healthy? Four simple steps anyone can take...